History of victoria baptist church

 

The history begins in 1906 with the construction of the Virginian Railway, known as the Tidewater Railway. Many people from various sections of the county had come to unite in the formation of a Baptist Church.

A church conference was held on October 13, 1907 and Victoria Baptist Church was constituted. By February of the next year, the congregation was negotiating for property on which to build a house of worship. The building, a frame structure, was erected in 1908 and served the growing fellowship for fifteen years. In 1924 it was sold to a congregation who moved the building a few miles northeast of Victoria where it is now known as Pleasant Oak Baptist Church.

The church's influence began to be felt throughout Southside Virginia by its affiliation with Concord Baptist Association. From its beginnings the church's interest in missions have been evident through its cooperation with the Baptist General Association of Virginia, the Southern Baptist Convention, and later the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.

The present sanctuary of the church was completed and the first service held in it on June 8, 1924. It was in this building that the Southside Baptist Association was established on October 26, 1962 with churches coming from the Concord and Appomattox Associations. When the church was sixty years old an educational wing was added to the building and dedicated on November 19, 1967.

Victoria Baptist Church has touched hundreds of lives. Its contributions to the Lord through worship and service cannot be measured except in vitality of the faith of those it has influenced. Under the leadership of the Holy Spirit may this influence continue to bring us closer to Christ, the Head of the Church.

image4